Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 14, 2012, 11:56:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tinted Glass  (Read 1679 times)
Grendel
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

Tinted Glass
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »

Some questions on tinted glass to fit a UK Previa

Stick On Tints:
Who has had there glass tinted  and what was the cost ?

Tinted Glass:
On average how much would it cost new/salvaged

Places that do the jobs:
I live in Liverpool but would be willing to travel for a good job

bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

Re: Tinted Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »

I did my own.........its in the tutorial section........i only wish i had of gone darker though........cost me £19

If It's Not Broke.... Dont Try To Fix-It. (like me....DoH!)
bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:10:47 PM »

here it is............

https://estima-motoring.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=931.0

mjltigger
TTFN
Silverback
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

let's get rid of links... upload your avatar..

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

you could see if AJ,S LUCIDA can get you some like he did for Eddy and swap the windows... there will shortly be a tutorial for that on site but it is a fairly easy job

personally I prefer privacy glass (mirrored) to tints tough but it depends what colour your bus is...

Grendel
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »

Good tuturial i may consider a diy job but as I'm a disaster at diy it will have to be a last resort  Undecided

bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:16:08 PM »

im all thumbs as well......the roll is 6mtrs long......so there's room for failure/error....i mucked up one piece (the first piece) after that it was a doddle. Grin

the stuff comes from a chap on ebay..... just type in car window tints........it should be around the £20 mark.

They do the rolls in 4 different (or is it five?) shades....i went for the second from lightest....because i didnt want it to dark......

5% is limo black (useless realy) and 75% is the lightest.....i should have gone for 35% in hinesight!

Still.......... at only £20 its worth me removing it & doing it again at 35%.....as im now a pro at it lol.

If you do decide to do it........my top tip is to do it on a nice calm (pref sunny) day....NO wind / breeze. i cant stress enough how easy this is...... Grin

Grendel
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »

Seeing as it comes off if i make a mistake i think i will give it a go with the 35% stuff
ill post the results for you all to have a laugh over

Cheers mate

Centaur
Silverback
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

...lurker!

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »

I was always advised to never try a DIY tint-job on the back window - mainly due to needing to cut it into strips and but the joints on the heater element wires - plus there's a lack of black matrix at the edges of the rear window (which the sides have) and the usual comment of "it's like wrapping a football"  :SmileyWink

But then, the cheapest quote I had to tint the entire rear was £250 Shocked...so may well be worth trying to DIY the rear side ones - and they can even be removed with the minimum of fuss and tinted on a table if needs be.

Depending on your confidence levels after that, either consider DIY on the rear window - or seek out a professional for just that one window?

Avoid the spray-on tints though.

This may also help: www.tintdude.com  Cool

Southern geezer, lost in the Midlands...!
bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »

i concur centaur........ i did have a go at the rear......... to be honest......i should have had my camcorder rolling........i would have got £250 from you been framed....lol......i got in a right muddle with it.......and the attempt ended up in the bin pmsl..........i can see my error......i didnt cut it into enough strips........that would have worked. (the use of a hot-air gun would have been a bonus as well)

regards all ....... ade.

guyver
MILLIE
Silverback
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »

Quote from: Centaur on April 23, 2008, 07:04:46 PM
I was always advised to never try a DIY tint-job on the back window - mainly due to needing to cut it into strips and but the joints on the heater element wires - plus there's a lack of black matrix at the edges of the rear window (which the sides have) and the usual comment of "it's like wrapping a football"  :SmileyWink

But then, the cheapest quote I had to tint the entire rear was £250 Shocked...so may well be worth trying to DIY the rear side ones - and they can even be removed with the minimum of fuss and tinted on a table if needs be.

Depending on your confidence levels after that, either consider DIY on the rear window - or seek out a professional for just that one window?

Avoid the spray-on tints though.

This may also help: www.tintdude.com  Cool

thats a bit of a steep quote i have been quoted £220 to do the rear and 4 sides....................

24/04/08: Centaur - Fixing Quoting
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:05:09 AM by Centaur » Logged

Grendel
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »

Thanks for all the advise i have decided the job especially the rear window could be a bit tricky for me.
I have shopped around and found a place 10 miles from were i live who will tint the complete van for £180 with a 10 year guarentee.
Here is the link to there site http://www.tintwindows.co.uk/car_tinting.htm

i will post some pics when the job is done here https://estima-motoring.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=1884.0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:22:16 PM by Grendel » Logged

Grendel
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:33 PM »

For anyone who would like to try to tint there own windows check out this site with videos to show how it is done

http://www.gilafilms.com/autozone/

TREEBOR
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »

ok i have been quoted 190 for entire rear windows to be tinted on my toyota previa from a company called custom tints they are based in the north east uk gateshead they do a nice job and also u get little decals saying custom tints on ur windows mine is getting done next week il post pics when done
Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »

Nice, there seems to be a call for tints for a few people owning these buses. I'm just wondering if it's a way to hide as they feel silly driving them? Shocked  GrinGrin
snakeyes
Adopted Fifer
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Bye bye Ophiuchus.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 09:09:36 PM »

I just want to tint my rear door window as it has that netting type tint on it and i want black. Dont
know how easy to get the old netting stuff off though. Huh?

I am still alive and still driving my BMW.
TREEBOR
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »

i tell ya main reason for me wanting mine tinted lol i have to many children and wen i go to asda and i sit in car park with them the play up and i feel silly when people stair in bk lol
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Holding it together with willpower and string

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »

Quote from: TREEBOR on March 04, 2009, 09:57:52 PM
i tell ya main reason for me wanting mine tinted lol i have to many children and wen i go to asda and i sit in car park with them the play up and i feel silly when people stair in bk lol

I like mine because it has saved me unwanted attention from the police when on a long drive as Ethan usually gets bored and goes walkabout in the back after a while

ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »

Quote from: mr mince on March 04, 2009, 10:26:14 PM
Quote from: TREEBOR on March 04, 2009, 09:57:52 PM

I like mine because it has saved me unwanted attention from the police when on a long drive as Ethan usually gets bored and goes walkabout in the back after a while
My daughter Celina plays chair hopping too  :Smiley

Tony the family guy
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: