Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 14, 2012, 11:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stainless exhaust  (Read 1677 times)
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Holding it together with willpower and string

Stainless exhaust
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »

Any suggestions on where to get one off the shelf (so to speak) to fit myself, just had a quote from a local place £337, not a bad price until he told me that was just the back 2 sections the front bit would be "less than that" he reckoned.

I can't really drive all the way to England to give somebody my car for a day to make one, distance and price of fuel make it slightly impractical Undecided

Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Re: Stainless exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »

I bought a powerflow system, over 2 years as I felt the front end shouldn't go, but did. Cost me £200 for the back, and £160 for the front a year later, but both together were quoted as a £300 job.

Get a few on line quotes from places, and see if anyone local can match them

MIJ Performance

Powerflow Dealers in Scotland[url]

Del
4th gear user
OfflineOffline

Apes, you gotta love em !

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »

Look here John http://www.partsplazaltd.co.uk/
When you ring them, tell them you found them on here (Estima motoring community)   Smiley
Del  Wink
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Gary on June 19, 2008, 05:59:51 PM
I bought a powerflow system, over 2 years as I felt the front end shouldn't go, but did. Cost me £200 for the back, and £160 for the front a year later, but both together were quoted as a £300 job.

Get a few on line quotes from places, and see if anyone local can match them

MIJ Performance

Powerflow Dealers in Scotland

That's what they told me too the front isn't likely to go, it was powerflow that I visited today. They're the only ones local enough to leave the car with Smiley

mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Del on June 19, 2008, 06:01:22 PM
Look here John http://www.partsplazaltd.co.uk/
When you ring them, tell them you found them on here (Estima motoring community)   Smiley
Del  Wink

Cheers will give them a bell Grin

Didn't see stainless mentioned on their website, do they get them to order or do they need the car for a day?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:47:37 PM by mr mince » Logged

djdigitald
3rd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »

Try Long Life mate, better that Power Flow apparently http://www.longlife-exhausts.co.uk/street/locator.default.aspx

mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »

Quote from: djdigitald on June 20, 2008, 10:15:37 AM
Try Long Life mate, better that Power Flow apparently http://www.longlife-exhausts.co.uk/street/locator.default.aspx

Cheers, I knew there was another one, Aberdeen hmm bit of a trek. Still mulling it over. Not a lot of cash in the long run since I'm keep the bus for as long as possible

Centaur
Silverback
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

...lurker!

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »

Quote from: djdigitald on June 20, 2008, 10:15:37 AM
Try Long Life mate, better that Power Flow apparently

Used Longlife twice now and been pleased with the product and service both times. They bang on about their superior TIG welds, higher grade S/Steel and their ability to "tune" the pipe to your preferred choice of "note", but dunno if Powerflow offer the same?

I do know that Longlife were slightly dearer than Powerflow when I was last shopping for a "cat-back" system ...but both were cheaper (fitted) than Toyota's mild-steel part-only price!

Southern geezer, lost in the Midlands...!
Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »

Powerflow offered me a choice of end fittings, although that was extra to the basic cost, nothing else. Been fitted now for 3 and 4 years, front and back, and no problems noted other than occasional tapping on the rear driveshaft when fully laden, and going over a bump.

The other thing is, annual inspections. We had to take ours in each year, or the lifetime warranty would be invalidated. Did it twice then forgot. C'est la vie.
Dazzler
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »

If anyone has the inclination ,i beleive the Leyland Daf vans have a very similar exhaust system to the Esty exhaust system.If some of the basic components are the same,flanges and pipe bends aren't that hard to come by Wink
Dazzler
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »

Manifold to front down pipe is the most important section of exhuast you need to consider.
Doesn't matter who or what makes up the mid/inter pipe or overaxle rear,if the fronts of spec,the rest will be a right royal pain in the arse.
If your in the construction trade you'll appreciate how important the first 3 or 4 courses are in a wall.You get the foundations and levels out at that level ,the further away from that point is going to multiply the tweek factor,the further away you get.
For a front to rear stainless system,i'd plumb for the custom guys that'll tweek a welding wire to match and replicate your pipes and box up.
£3-400 ,would be a reasonable amount to pay for a custom stainless system maybe £500 but Done.
If you can get to the JAE and such car rallies,then you'll appreciate that you can have these jobs done there or gain an address for a unit that'll accomodate your needs.
I'll keep my i out for you John Wink
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »

Quote from: Dazzler on June 20, 2008, 09:15:16 PM
If your in the construction trade you'll appreciate how important the first 3 or 4 courses are in a wall.You get the foundations and levels out at that level ,the further away from that point is going to multiply the tweek factor,the further away you get.
For a front to rear stainless system,i'd plumb for the custom guys that'll tweek a welding wire to match and replicate your pipes and box up.

Yep, from engineering place I worked I remember a few mil here and a few mil there and then welders would go nuts because nothing met up CoolTongue

Quote from: Gary on June 20, 2008, 08:16:10 PM
The other thing is, annual inspections. We had to take ours in each year, or the lifetime warranty would be invalidated. Did it twice then forgot. C'est la vie.

That bit probably settles it, for convenience of the annual check up (if actually get one) Powerflow are less than 10miles away, nearest longlife is 150

Centaur
Silverback
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

...lurker!

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »

K&N at the front, stainless system underneath - your bus will sound like a canine's rude bits!  CoolCoolCool

Southern geezer, lost in the Midlands...!
syco83
New user

OfflineOffline

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »

used them when i had a calibra and if ur like me and joke around had oval 4 free would use again
Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »

This topic is nearly 3 years old. Please start a new one rather than resurrect dead posts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: