Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 03, 2012, 10:28:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The one that didn't get away (GRUNT!)  (Read 671 times)
Mothsiri
Don't Ask Me I Know Nothing About Cars!!
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Formerly known as K88DUE

The one that didn't get away (GRUNT!)
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »

This is, not only the one I should have got rid of but should not have got it in the first place!  1996 audi A6 avant 2.5 TDi 110hp £2800.
In Black.  Took a long time to find one so I jumped at this one as it was local. as I decided then to seriously avoid going a long distance to buy a car.  Genuine buy at the time, although smokey it went like the proverbial pooh of shovel, ---over 2000 RPM of course.  First lump of money dissappeared on it when I done the timing belt £400+ and the existing one was getting worn away as someone had botched the previous belt and did not install the full kit and in particular the tensioner. An astray bolt sat in the bottom of the belt guard, it had worn one third the way through.....  Next disaster was I changed the ugly wheels for those off an RS4, looked super, didn't perform super though Huh?All 4 were buckled and to make it worse were welded on the inside where they could not be seen.  Came off ebay from wales  The replacements were new, but to anyone who has one of these A6's its very difficult to get nice alloys for these cars.  These new wheels used ''wobbly studs'' and had the same if less tendency to vibrate and shake the car over 70mph.
Within another year some device got to do with rad/cooling started to rattle humungously, another £400! Sad
Next job came and went, Turn it into a 7 seater £300 for the seat and another £300 to install.  Adding this lot together and oil changes/servicing the car cost £500+ year on garage bills and considering that I done 4000 miles a year over the 3 1/2 years I had it,
it turned out to be a  expensive car.  
Sold it with a struggle 6 months ago as I had a bad feeling about it, real bad.  Its performance dropped like a bag of stones, front bearings got noisy and I felt I'd rather spend the likely £500 that I don't have on a new motor..............  within a day of it being sold for a fraction of what I should have got, it broke down on the new owner with new problems that showed no sign earlier.  He had the good seance to shift it after getting it roadworthy. There was only 130,000 miles when it left me.......... I wont do it any praise by posting a picture.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:40:42 PM by bizarebazaar » Logged

Just look at some of the the junk I bought.........DOH

mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Holding it together with willpower and string

Re: The one that didn't get away (GRUNT!)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:48:47 AM »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the Audi, not the first A6 I've heard of giving problems, Ramoth on here had an A6 and like yours it seemed to be a money pit but as a 2.5tdi it was frighteningly quick for a diesel estate.

She's still got it but it's on permanent loan to her brother and now repairs will be his problem

Mothsiri
Don't Ask Me I Know Nothing About Cars!!
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Formerly known as K88DUE

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »

Aparently the TD red I was very quick.  Although the 5 cylinder engines were very good which I can verify as I had loads!, but these 2.5 TDI were only good for 100,000 I heard various people say. there was an early 2.0 TDI which was rare in 1986 cars approx, this engine was far better I understand.......
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:47:50 PM by K88DUE » Logged

Just look at some of the the junk I bought.........DOH

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: