Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 14, 2012, 10:36:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrysler Voyager 2.5 Turbo Diesel  (Read 1049 times)
propnut
4th gear user
OfflineOffline

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 Turbo Diesel
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »

Hi Guys

Haven't been around much since I got rid of the Previa and my work has been pretty hectic. Anyhow as some of you may know I used the scrappage scheme to get my daughter a new Kia Picanto and bought myself a Chrysler Voyager 2.5TD. Have had the Voyager since Oct 2008 and must say I have been extremely happy. Look I have had to do work on her but this goes for any old car but these have been the normal brakes, shocks, clutch etc and engine mounts.

Being in the IT game I do a huge amount of mileage and have already clocked up over 25K. The drive is very confortable and she holds the road surprisingly well for a yank tank. Also I don't get the wind wobble I used to get in the Previa every time I overtook a large lorry. Consumption is good too 32-36 around town 39-42 on the open road. Mine is a MK3 96-00 model on a V reg. The prime difference between this model and the MK4 is the engine. This uses a VM425 which is an overhead valve diesel motor with a gear driven camshaft. The newer one is the same basic block but with a 16v OHC, a cam belt and CRD. As mine (like the Estima's) uses a Bosch pump I can use veg without too much of an issue. Car as a whole is VERY easy to work on, lots of space to do pretty much everything and NOT having a cambelt means just oil and filters.

Gearboxes are reputed to give trouble but this is down to not changing the oil in the box every 20K miles or using the wrong oil. This is necessary as it uses an engine 10W-40 oil. If people have used SX75-90 the gearbox will definitely fail. Anyhow mine is fine.

My only regret is not getting the Grand Voyager as space is somewhat limited in the Voyager with 4 kids. However if and when considering replacing your Esti I can wholeheartedly recommend one but contact me first for a list of things to look out for.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:12:01 PM by propnut » Logged
Swanny
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Re: Chrysler Voyager
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »

Good to hear that the Voyager is going well Paulo.
How's the Picanto?. I've ordered one on scrappage too, just waiting for it...........still.
Has the family grown now then?.
Swanny
bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

well good for you.  Grin

Im looking around for something...but once bitten twice shy...if you know what i mean with the esti's, im using my brothers citroen C8 people carrier at the moment, with electric door closing to the rear etc.....fully loaded. its ok, but it realy drinks the juice, im getting on average 28 MPG! i don't like the driving experience, you kind of sit on it as opposed to in it, if that makes any sense? its not an involving drive! the power is there....and plenty too! but its not right some how..just cant put my finger on it!

I looked at the grand voyager a few years ago, i liked the look....so i hired one in the states, twice actually, and had no problems with them, the power was acceptable and the driving experience was pretty good too.

When i came back to england i was on the hunt for one...but they were fairly new then and pretty expensive!

Now a few years have gone by, they are pretty affordable to the average 'joe' (me lol) did they do the 'Grand Voyager' with the VM425 engine? not having a cam 'belt' sounds good to me.  Grin

regards ade.

If It's Not Broke.... Dont Try To Fix-It. (like me....DoH!)
Tetleysmooth
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »

One of my work colleagues has a Grand Voyager, it's the 3.3 litre? transverse engine. Apparently, the inlet manifold has to come off to change the spark plugs!!
He paid a chappie to do it  Grin
Nice vehicle though.
propnut
4th gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »

Ok let me just clarify something here. I a referring to the DIESEL's ONLY. Do NOT touch the petrol models they consume fuel second to none !!!!
 1996-2000 models fitted with VM425 2.5L Turbo Diesel engine as stated NO CAM BELT. Later ones also VM425 but VM425R = 16V with CRD and CAM BELT.
2.8 Litre diesel same engine but bored out and in Auto Only and not so great on fuel.

All cars have their issues take that for granted but these are easy to fix and most parts easy to get on eBay at a fraction of main dealer cost.

If buying a 2001 and up when you get into the car switch it on till just the mileage shows, then quickly switch it on and back to this point 3 times and you will get the ECU read out if you get P1130 stay away = fuel injection fault.

Swanny very pleased with the Picanto but should have ordered the 1.1 with central locking. I bought the very base 1L model. Power is fine but having to lock all doors manually a real pain in the ****
Swanny
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Re: Chrysler Voyager 2.5 Turbo Diesel
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »

Quote from: propnut on April 05, 2010, 07:51:03 PM
Swanny very pleased with the Picanto but should have ordered the 1.1 with central locking. I bought the very base 1L model. Power is fine but having to lock all doors manually a real pain in the ****
That's the one we bought mate!. One of the auto electricians in town will make it remote central locking for £100. It's gonna be Rach's commute car, so normally only her in it!.
propnut
4th gear user
OfflineOffline

Re: Chrysler Voyager 2.5 Turbo Diesel
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »

Ok so thus far my best mileage on the Kia is 44mpg although they claim 50+.  But it has only covered 1600miles since I got her in aug last year so once she frees up a bit more I am hoping it will improve. As I said we got it for my daughter who is only 16 and so needs to wait another year to start using it. at the mo we use it once or twice a week just to keep the bat from going flat and as a convenient run around. The wife has the Fiat Multipla and I the Chrysler and both of these are diesel so no real incentive to use the Kia more other than for ease of parking.

Watch out for the clutch though, it snatches eather that slips smoothly so expect to stall her often at the traffic lights. People behind you will think you have just gotten your license. Take a look at the Kia Forum, this is a common observation. Nought wrong with it just all nice new and tight. As they age it should ease up a bit. Other than the lack of CL other silly things like no internal clock (not even on the radio) and no light in the boot. However mine is on a 59 plate so perhaps you will get a different spec. Also no centre seat belt on the rear seat. To get it in the £30 a year tax bracket it has to be deemed to be a 4 seater Huh?Huh??? go figure. I am waiting for a 1.1 to get broken at my local scrappy and then I will swipe the belt from that and fit it.

Handes very well for 13 inch rich tea biscuit wheels and mine came with a proper spare wheel. Some only come with a can of tyre weld  :Smiley
bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »

thanks for the grand voyager info, still looking..... Grin

i went to spain three years ago and hired a picanto.....1.1 with C/L and air-con.... i laughed when i saw it, but what a fantastic little car it was!!! i found it hard to hand back the key's after two weeks  Smileygot 100 mph out of it as well (160KMH) i loved it.

ade.

If It's Not Broke.... Dont Try To Fix-It. (like me....DoH!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: