Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 03, 2012, 08:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - rough start & run until warm?  (Read 3006 times)
dmarkham
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

Re: Help - rough start & run until warm?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »

Just about to order the rest of the shims. I'll update next week once they are all back in and see if my problems are cured.. or not.
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »

unfortunatly the thing with trile and error I only sugested shims because it was the cause to my problems just hope it is yours too so you can relax and enjoy your bus.

Tony the family guy

dmarkham
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »

Well the clearance (or complete lack of them) were way out and would need doing anyway and there a relatively cheaper option than starting to replace diesel pumps and injectors which was the garages trial and error method - (and of course I may still end up going doing this route). But at least I am learning something new by doing the valve clearances.

I've replied to your email about sending spare shims down to me as I could make good use of them. When I've finished the job I'll list the sizes of the ones I take out if others could make use of them.
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »

Quote from: dmarkham on July 03, 2010, 11:47:13 AM
Well the clearance (or complete lack of them) were way out and would need doing anyway and there a relatively cheaper option than starting to replace diesel pumps and injectors which was the garages trial and error method - (and of course I may still end up going doing this route). But at least I am learning something new by doing the valve clearances.

I've replied to your email about sending spare shims down to me as I could make good use of them. When I've finished the job I'll list the sizes of the ones I take out if others could make use of them.
there in the post as of monday I am going to start a thread for spare shims just add your sizes too it try and keep it together will make it easy for other members to find there sizes

Tony the family guy

dmarkham
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »

Just to up date this thread - shims are now all in and checked gaps which are all within limits. Over next couple of days I'll be piecing it all back together and testing to see if the problem is solved.

Just one question if anyone can help - With the cam/rocker cover there is a seal/rubber gasket do I need to replace this or clean in any special way or apply additional sealants before refitting?
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2010, 06:21:20 AM »

If the rubber still looks in good condition then just clean up both serfaces get some gaskit sealent and smear all round and replace go easy on the cover bolts they dont take much to snap, I found hand tight and just a quarter turn seems to do the trick. Ive tried the recomended tork setting and they snapped.
If you want to get a new gaskit easily obtained on ebay jap auto  or motorfactors should do a blue print part for it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-EMINA-ESTIMA-LUCIDA-3CT-2-2-ROCKER-COVER-GASKET-/110125395876?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19a3fc2fa4
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:49:51 PM by ADarbon » Logged

Tony the family guy

dmarkham
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »

Thanks for advice on gaskets and good web link.

I've now put everything back together on the bus. Then after a few anxious thoughts (of what I may have left ondone etc. ) started the bus and took it out for a test run and .. guess what ... SmileyGrinYES...problem fixed no more rough running - JOY - RELIEF. Ran from cold this morning fully loaded up with children and no problems. So the advise on here to do the valve clearances was spot on. I'm so so glad I didn't let the diesel (expert) garage start replacing injectors and fuel pumps as they suggested. In the process I've also learnt a lot - which includes fantastic support on this web site - thanks .

Hopefully my thread and pictures may be useful to others.

Cheers
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »

Well done Dom glad all is working well and has made the fix much cheeper. some times experiance out ways the brains of garage grease monkey but hay where all APES here.
If it's ok with every one else i might just make this thread a pin up to make it easy to find for other members.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:51:09 PM by ADarbon » Logged

Tony the family guy

ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »

A link to other threads with the same problems
also have rough running till warm
shims from toyota
spare Shims
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:30:21 PM by ADarbon » Logged

Tony the family guy

drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »

congrats on another happy bus! have been following the thread with interest. has given me the effort to have a look at my clearances next week end. The bus does start too bad at all but as I am running veg it might be worth a look at!