Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 15, 2012, 12:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bio power v100"  (Read 1331 times)
drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

"Bio power v100"
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »

Hi all

Have a local agent from "Bio power" just down the road. Any one heard of the v100 fuel they produce and have any experience of it?

Ross

powered by chips!
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

Re: "Bio power v100"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »

never used bio fuel yet but did see the named place on ebay. main question is how much a liter.

Tony the family guy
drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

Not cheap! £55 for 60 litres! So whats that 91.6p/L

Want to run filterd wvo but not many around here without some one collecting already! Thought it might prove a transition to running svo mix.

powered by chips!
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »

just run like desile on bio if the price is including the money the govenment steal of us then it is a little saving. and if your using it to do you 50 50 mix then even better saving

Tony the family guy
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Holding it together with willpower and string

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »

Bio-power V100 is just veg with thinners not true biodiesel.

They're reputation is worse than mud with real bio producers as it's not friendly to newer common rail engines or Lucas fuel pumps but an Estima will run fine on it Grin

drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »

Thanks for that mince, he dropping off 60ltrs on Friday to give it ago. Am thinking now that as it is not a direct diesel replacement that it is gonna strip the tank, and clog the filter so I will not put it in until my service pack arrives from you guys.

Get paid on Friday, how long is the postage on the service pack usually?

Am going to quiz on Friday to see what he tell's me it is??

Cheers again mince

powered by chips!
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:04:27 PM »

I have learned something new surly that is wrong calling it bio. because there is a quite a prosess to make real bio

Tony the family guy
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »

Quote from: ADarbon on June 22, 2010, 09:04:27 PM
I have learned something new surly that is wrong calling it bio. because there is a quite a prosess to make real bio
That's why it's V100 not B100 seems as long it's not called biodiesel it can be whatever it wants Undecided

Quote from: drawocssor on June 22, 2010, 05:33:36 PM
Thanks for that mince, he dropping off 60ltrs on Friday to give it ago. Am thinking now that as it is not a direct diesel replacement that it is gonna strip the tank, and clog the filter so I will not put it in until my service pack arrives from you guys.

Even regular bio can do that, I'd keep a spare fuel filter in the car just in case I've never been stranded myself despite running all the junk under the sun there were a few times I wished I'd had a spare filter.

drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »

Well, bit the bullet today and being rather Impatient hasve filled the bus 50:50 with mineral and v100 quized the guy for a while and he was happy to answer all the qusetions!. It is wvo filtered and thinned and has had the cetane rating modified also? I know what he means but not how he's done it. Was a bit lumpy on a cold start, but ran fine when warm. He started to go on about the benifits of having a heated filter and said I could find one on a peugeot van and plumb it in. Any comments on doing this woould be appreciated. Otherwise I will update as the week rolls on.

Ross

powered by chips!
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 03:06:40 AM »

Cetane is the amount of bang in the veg a lot of veg burners use a cetane booster especially if they use petrol as a thinner as for a heated filter you could do worse than to invest in a heat exchanger (apparently a suitable one can be found in old combi boilers) That said I run silly amounts of veg all year round and so far the bus has never let me down......well not on a cold fuel related matter anyway Cool

ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »

the filter is heated by the water in the coolant system so still wont make any difference for cold starts but will thin the fuel going to the pump when warm causing less pressure on the pump seals. best way around the cold start is a twin tank system. having a small tank for your deisil and a swich over for when the engin is warm. something i will invest in next year if the bus doesnt need any major repair jobs to do by then.

Tony the family guy
drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »

A bit of an update:

Well it seems to be running fine and am now on the look out for a heated filter, put the word out in the local breakers. It seems someone does the rounds and whips out all the heated filters once in a while.

Have been thinking about the cold start problem though. A separate tank is the way to go in the long term but think am going to have a go a building a heated 12v jacket for the filter and its in pipe, bit like what you'd have on your emersion heater in the house but with a coiled heating element in, set it at 92C - switch on the dash to turn on and Bobs a distance relative?

How much distance do you recon we'll get out of a filter full of fuel, enough I hoping to get enough heat ino the water for the heated pump to take over and switch the jacket off! Ideas?

powered by chips!
drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »

Think I might try and chop up one of these!

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=5198&ensemble%20Id=5198&PIPELINE_SESSION_ID=e19d3014cc091df136a3a1a747d89b7a

or

http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/get_item_tk240_dual-cup-cooler-warmer.htm

might try and think of as way of getting this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Volt-1-WATER-HEATER-IMMERSION-ELEMENT-solar-wind-V-/150363487613?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item23025cbd7d

Into a fuel tank?

OR have all the work done for you with one of these

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Vegetable-Oil-Fuel-Heaters.htm

powered by chips!
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »

Wouldn't worry about the cold start problem I was managing to start fine with a 90/10 veg petrol blend winter before last, a good set of glowplugs is all you really need with these.

A heated filter can be handy though especially if you go the whole way and filter your own waste oil Grin

drawocssor
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »

Well you can tell I'm back in work full time now! Never seem to have the time to post midweek! Well did my first long trip in the bus last week, wednesday and thursday down to Bridgend. 512 miles and all good.
The V100 is running well but the bus does not like running when cold on 100%, much better on 90% with a bit of mineral thrown in! Am gonna get a pre heater come pay day and see if that makes a difference just until warm.

Otherwise the bus did me proud! getting about 28 to the gallon, so not bad.