Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 15, 2012, 12:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am i a little bit "fick"  (Read 466 times)
94lucida
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

am i a little bit "fick"
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »

when reading on veg oil as fuel i was under the impression you could only use veg oil - so when ive been pricing up in shops ive only looked at veg oil prices

am i now right in thinking i can use sunflower oil cornoil etc etc? Huh?

forgive my stoopid Q's im new to all this. haha
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

Re: am i a little bit "fick"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »

yes yes yes cooking oil some oils are thicker than others.

Tony the family guy
rune
3rd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »

think you can use oil derived from any thing that grown.

time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana
tiggerlomas
New user

OfflineOffline

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »

ive only just registered and im fascinated regarding the vegetable oil / diesel........ ive had eminas /lucidas for 3/4 years but have only just read about the vegetable oil ..... so can someone just confirm that i can just pure it in my tank and walah! it doesnt do any damage ....... do i have to replace my filters more often ..... is there any snags ..... i would love to know !!!! im breaking a lucida at the moment should i keep things for the future cheers .....i would love a speedy responce as its ready for the scrap yard weigh in..... if parts r required please message me its green in colour theres not alot left but you never know i might have a part for you       
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »

if your only just starting to use veg oil then go for 50/50 mix of veg and diesel. run on that for a week and check your fuel pump for leaks. The thicker oil has a tendancy to find weaknesses. both buses i have had i never had a problem.
If your happy with the running then up your mix. In summer the mix can be as much as 80/20 others have gone higher even my self from time to time mainly on long runs. but that is up to you. If your storing out side in the cold or only use the bus for short stops its always good to add 1 or 2% of unleaded to the oil to stop if freezing and gelling.
Just ask away

thats the technical
now just buy a 3ltr bottle of oil from asda tesco poor it in and see what you think some say there bus run better on it it will clean the crud out of your fuel tank so have a spare fuel filter ready other than that i just change my fuel filter every service.

Tony the family guy
94lucida
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »

ive found that the best and by far the most financially rewarding is to thin the veg- so youve got 20 liters of veg oil - shove a liter of petrol in and leave it a week - this breaks down the molecules of the vegoil and thins it - the visocity of veg oil is too thick to be run straight but petrol, paint thinner etc will reduce its visocity

using 50/50 your only saving half so how many liters of veg - you have to use that of diesel too
whereas 20 litre of diesel and 1.30 ish of petrol is the bigger saving

then you can go into waste veg oil from takeaways etc - although this requires more work to filter out the bits - the constant heating and cooling of its life in the takeaway has already broken down the molecules in the oil so is more or less ready after filtering

as youve never run on veg before - the veg will clean all the diesel deposits from the tank and likely can block the filter - its best to start off in small quantities and build up to the masses

put in an inline fuel filter before the line reaches the main fuel filter to catch the most and prevent it blocking up - some carryu around spare filters too just incase
i started this thread on another forum asking the do and dont of veg oil that u may find usefull http://www.another web site.ws/community/topic/42975-veggy-oil-do-you-or-dont-you/
tiggerlomas
New user

OfflineOffline

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »

thanks for the prompt responce .... i cant wait ..... there are 3 estimas in the family they are getting me to try 1st ..... ha ha well in for a penny in for a pound i think i will start with 5 litres in a full tank of fuel .......ive just arranged for my waste veg oil from the kitchen at a local pub its a start  Grin 
Kernowman
Hold onto your nuts lads...this place is full of A.P.E.S.
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Formerly known as....... PGR ポール

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »

I've been running Neima on veg for over 3 1/2 years.... running mostly wvo that I've filtered and adding some diesel in.
Winter can cause veg to thicken up as mentioned, but is fine once engine has warmed up.
Adding petrol will thin it, but be very careful to keep track if you put it direct into tank. Too much petrol can cause some nasty problems  Shocked

As mentioned.. just start of with a few litres of veg from supermarket... this will help you get over the HOW CAN IT RUN hurdle...lol Tongue

I'm starting to stock pile my filtered veg ready for this years meets runs.... it's best to filter on dry winter days as it gets more out, especially any meat/chicken fats. If it'll go through filters in winter it'll be as clean as possible ready for summer..  Grin

2012 meets season... check out MEET area for events...we might be near you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: