Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 15, 2012, 01:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bloody starter again  (Read 943 times)
rose4765
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

bloody starter again
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »

hi guys hope everyones well, not been on for a while had a few things going on. right the starter on my townie has been playing up for a while as some of you may know and it has now completely jammed so me thinks it's going to have to come off for a better look, it does seem to have some oil all over it from a previous oil leak would this be causing the prob and does anyone know how difficult they are to get off it looks a bit awkward to get to. it makes a clicking noise when you turn the key but it doesnt spin the engine over. it's the 2ltr td auto 1993.
rose4765
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

Re: bloody starter again
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »

forgot to say i had cleaned contacts and stuff before, well my friends son did it but he's not about to help at mo and i wasnt here when he took it off last time so i'm not sure how to go about it. am thinking it might be knackered this time.

bionic belcher
5th gear user
OfflineOffline

USED TO BE MONSIGNA

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

sad to say, nothing lasts forever, if the brushes have been changed before then the likelyhood that the bearings have siezed now sound about right. not done a starter change on a townie sorry, perhaps someone can help? try a breakers yard...they will remove one for you (if they have one) and tell you how easy/hard it was im thinking. good luck

ade.

If It's Not Broke.... Dont Try To Fix-It. (like me....DoH!)
rose4765
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »

thanks for the reply yeah tracking another one down will be a challenge was one on ebay yesterday last bid i saw on it was £15.
rose4765
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »

well now i'm back at work decided to take the starter off and nipped it down to a local place that deals in that sort of thing. i noticed the teeth on the cog were worn as it had been running on after starting up. anyway i asked them to have a look and tell me what was wrong and then give me an idea how much it would be. then i get a phone call saying it's all fixed and the bill is £102 eek !! why do people do that ? same thing happened to my dad with his lawn mower took it to a mower place asked them to take a look and let him know how much to fix it, next thing he got a call its all fixed £140 ta very much he told them to stick it. oh well at least the starter is fixed just got to wait til next pay day sigh......
Kernowman
Hold onto your nuts lads...this place is full of A.P.E.S.
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Formerly known as....... PGR ポール

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »

That's naughty... you could say that you refuse to pay and want it back... as you did not instruct them to carry out any repairs.
But although a bit steep, if they have indeed reconditioned it then that's a lot cheaper than buying a recon off the shelf.

Unfortunately townies and spares for them are getting harder to find.. so even 2nd hand parts are going for stupid money.
But at least you'll be back on the road again...

Did they give any guarantee on the work done..?

2012 meets season... check out MEET area for events...we might be near you.
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »

they should always tell you the price before carring out the work it is wrong but they do it so they can get he business barter with them

Tony the family guy
Kernowman
Hold onto your nuts lads...this place is full of A.P.E.S.
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Formerly known as....... PGR ポール

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »

Quote from: ADarbon on February 22, 2011, 12:42:47 AM
they should always tell you the price before carring out the work it is wrong but they do it so they can get he business barter with them
I agree... tell them you can only affort 40.00 and let them sweat...lol
They can they meet you somewhere in between. Wink

2012 meets season... check out MEET area for events...we might be near you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: