Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 15, 2012, 12:00:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Timer  (Read 416 times)
Lee1977
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

First Timer
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:35:01 AM »

Ok i apologise in advance and i know this as been explained a million times. But i need it explaining to me so i can be sure.
I want to go down the oil route but i really alot on my car and cannot afford to be without it.

So what is likely to go wrong i think i read somewhere something about the fuel pump. If this is the case and things need replacing what is the likely cost of having to do this repair?

Weather is a little cold at the minute so what mix should i be using and how should i introduce it in.

Thanks
Lee
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

Re: First Timer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:26:04 AM »

if the seals on the pump are week then a high mix of oil cold cause it to leak on two buses i havent had this problem yet in three years.
veg oil is good at cleaning all the rubbish out of your tank so have a spare fuel filter handy. put 10ltrs of diesel in and ad one of those 3ltr bottles of oil. if your happy with that try 12ltrs of diesel and two bottles of oil that will bring you 50 50 on your mix, then after that its up to you if you want to go higher.

Tony the family guy
Lee1977
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »

Ok thinking worse case scenario Like i said i can't afford to be without the motor. If the seals did leak is it a case of a new fuel pump or can the seals be changed?

I have a lad who does bits and bobs for me is it a big job to do whatever the answer is from the above.
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

the seals can be changed kernoman is the best person for help on that one other than that there is a tutoral for the pump change if you wanted to just change the whole thing.
if there is going to be a leak it would just be a little at first the chances of getting a leak under 50% mix is next too none in fact there have been people that have had leaks stop when they added some oil.

Tony the family guy
mr mince
Brrrrooooooommm
Silverback
Warp drive user
OfflineOffline

Holding it together with willpower and string

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »

Worst case the pump will leak and a replacement can be had from ebay or the seals are reasonably easy to do with the pump out.

Chances of a leaky pump at 50/50 is near enough none Grin

Lee1977
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »

Ok i think i am convinced.

So should i be looking to use new oil or used?

Should i add any petrol to new oil?

What is involved using used oil?

What oil do you find the cheapest is there a preference on what you guys use?
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:34:52 AM »

supermarket best place to start usually have offers on veg oil normally cheaper than sunflower oil. Theres a couple of tescos in London that have cheep oil mine here in Scotland don't. if you have a macro card they have been regularly selling 20lt ktc for around £15 will find out in next couple of weeks if they do have it still.
start with the fresh stuff get a taste for it. then find a supplier for free of cheep veg oil set up a filtering kit and get filtering. used veg oil is cleaner for the environment.

Tony the family guy
94lucida
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:10:45 AM »

Personally im not a fan of mixing with derv anymore - your not altering the structure of the oil, just diluting it and it isnt really that much of a saving as for a 50/50 mix, for every 10 liters you have to spend for 10 liters of diesel

i think 10% thinner is best - leave say 20 liters of veg oil for about a week or so with a liter of petrol or paint thinner, kerosene etc and it will break down the molecular structure to alter the visocity making it more similar to diesel. you also make a bigger saving as your only buying a liter of petrol to add to the veg

WVO (waste veg oil) is by far the greener and cheaper - constant heating and cooling down has already altered the visocity and made it thinner. you then need to filter it - its a little more complicated than that as you need to leave it in a settling tank to get all the water out then filter it down to around 5 microns, however an old pillowcase will filter it just as good IMHO

as above the veg will clean all the diesel sediment from the fuel tank so it is best to add gradually upto using a lot - an inline filter before the main filter is a good idea.
mad001
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »

how do you do the seals mate
Lee1977
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »

Can you explain more on the inline filter bit please
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »

i have never bothered with an inline filter. as for mixing with thiners i do that as well but just to get started i think its bes to go for a 50 50 mix and just see how you feel with it then go up from there and try fifferent thinks but for now just pour in and go.

Tony the family guy
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »

but if you want to do the inline filter buy one and a bit of fuel pipe remove the pipe befor the fuel filter put it on one side of the filter and ad the new pipe to the other side to the main filter. there just little plastic filters with a pipe fitting each side. dont cut the pipe because if you need to remove it for any reason the pipes not gonna reach any more

Tony the family guy
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »

Quote from: mad001 on February 01, 2011, 12:32:59 PM
how do you do the seals mate

https://estima-motoring.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=2949.msg40451#msg40451
theres one that kernoman has posted but PM him if you need to know others

Tony the family guy
Lee1977
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »

Thanks the repair seems straight forward once the fuel pump is off. I have a holiday booked on the 19th and MOT on the 10th so going to wait til i have come back off me holidays. Daren't risk anything before me holiday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: