Estima Motoring Community
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 03, 2012, 08:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't forget to have a look at our website at estima-motoring.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adarbons sad SADs  (Read 570 times)
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

Re: Adarbons sad SADs
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »

the thing that strikes me is there solid rubber.
polyurethane supposed to be really strong would have thought they would last forever. you would need a press to get the old ones out of the disc and them ones in.
id say they would last longer than the car itself.

Tony the family guy

ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

and still cheaper than Toyota ones

Tony the family guy

jon27267
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »

i,m in the process of trying to locate rubber ones from china
jon27267
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »

line up off aux prop, is there such thing or no before i fit another set of couplings
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »

a member from another site has just fitted sads from
http://polyflex.com.au/3-Bolt.php
said they where a little smaller and caused a lot of vibration
this ia a quote of what bryanj done (stolen i hope you dont mind)
"I have improved the Sads vibration quite a lot. Not as good as with the old ones but close.

Firstlly I pushed the rear mounting bolt on the horseshoe right forward and loosened the two front mounting bolts and allowed them to find their own home.

Then out with the dial gauge and set it up near the large part of the shaft towards the front. Turned the shaft and found the high spot. This was eight points on the gauge. Not sure of the measurement size it's to long since I used it.(25 years I think plus old eyes now)

Fitted two old turbo hose clamps that were stripped in one place just back from the small part on the front of the shaft with the screws opposite the high spot. Just happened to be inline with an original weight near the engine end.

Vibration area reduced to 1000rpm to 1100 rpm area. Previous was up to 1600rpm and the fan used to shake about like mad. Not so mad now and driver getting better.

Also removed the Toyota washers from the front Sad that I was fastidious in getting to 90deg on the three fitted and replaced all with thick falt washers.

These are not needed on the Poly sads and were only used due to lack of thick washers.

This made it just a little bit smoother. Then I did 100kms run at highway speeds above 100kph. After 50 kms more improvement noticed.

I think the poly sads are in need of a good thrashing and some heat. A good thrashing it got.The van was definately smoother on return home and I can only hope it will contine. Cold start in morning will be interesting."
so theres a lot to account for when replacing the sads, i think it also comes down to if the new couplings dont weigh the same that will also cause vibration.
I hope this helps

Tony the family guy

Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:16 PM »

I don't think there is an actual line to fit the shaft to balance by. I know the couple I've been involved with, we just fitted the new couplings, and refitted the shaft without any particular reference to a line. As the shafts are balanced during manufacture they can be put on any car without having to dynamically balance on the car afterwards.
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »

i would say use a spirit level but the car would have to be on a level surface to begin with

Tony the family guy

Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »

Quote from: ADarbon on January 24, 2012, 11:54:51 PM
a member from another site has just fitted sads from
http://polyflex.com.au/3-Bolt.php
said they where a little smaller and caused a lot of vibration
this ia a quote of what bryanj done (stolen i hope you dont mind)
Snip...

I think the poly sads are in need of a good thrashing and some heat. A good thrashing it got.The van was definately smoother on return home and I can only hope it will contine. Cold start in morning will be interesting."
so theres a lot to account for when replacing the sads, i think it also comes down to if the new couplings dont weigh the same that will also cause vibration.
I hope this helps

The weight difference doesn't really have a lot to do with it more that the couplings are properly made and their weight is even around the circumference. Same thing with car tyres, if you had a heavy duty set or a light set fitted, its all down to imbalance in the tyre itself hence the need for balance weights.

Making sure the shaft is fitted correctly with washers in the right places is the best way to minimise vibration. If you need to, adjust run out by rotating the shaft to another position then reconnecting, should minimise any offset rotation of the shaft. As for a good thrashing, any new moving component should bed in before you will get the best result from it.
Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:54 AM »

Quote from: ADarbon on January 25, 2012, 12:06:51 AM
i would say use a spirit level but the car would have to be on a level surface to begin with

Doesn't work like that. The shaft would have to be made level before initial removal, not the car as there will be some difference between the car and the shaft attitude. Also where would you take the level from on the car? Aircraft have rigging points that you jack to level to a defined spot. Can't do it on a car because there are so many variables due to flexible mountings, wear, any damage to the drivetrain as a whole as well as maybe the chassis on the car.
bryanj
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »

Hi I posted in the wrong place about my polyflex sads. Under the pump o ring etc. Suffering from Estima psychosis I think. Sorry about that.

Will get better at it eventually. I don't think it is the size difference as it is very slight in diameter and the weight is similar by feel.

They are just so hard and not forgiving. I will ring Brisbane today and ask some questions from a place called Driveline Services who fit them. A lot more Estimas in Queensland than here in South Australia.

I think they feel a little worse when cold but still a big improvement with my rough balancing etc.

Not to much shaking this morning but worse with a/c on.
ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »

it was more of joke really. i didn't think for a second that a spirit level would work.
If you see a red Estima pull out side your house Gary don't worry just me coming to get you to do my sads looks like you know what your talking about.

Tony the family guy

ADarbon
Veggie power
Global Moderator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

Dentey the veg bus

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »

Quote from: bryanj on January 25, 2012, 12:13:38 AM
Hi I posted in the wrong place about my polyflex sads. Under the pump o ring etc. Suffering from Estima psychosis I think. Sorry about that.
Yeah I have been toying with moving it and renaming it something to do later when everyones gone too bed.

Tony the family guy

jon27267
2nd gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:32 AM »

lol, haven,t stopped laughing, levels, poly sads, australia, it must be getting late guys, if you find the photo tutorial on sads let me know, i will off course try and do my own photos, cheers guys
Gary (not GT Gary)
Administrator
Hyperdrive user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »

You could say I've a reasonable amount of experience with driveshafts. Just not usually on cars as they are pretty limited in what you can do with them and their connectors.  Wink
bryanj
1st gear user
OfflineOffline

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »

Yes, I can see how turning it could change the high and low position, but wouldn't this just move it to another location?

I still feel that the couplings are just hard and unforgiving.

Still when you consider the rear tailshaft of similar length has solid uni joints. This is also the case for 4x4 vehicles and these don't shake.

The balancer that I spoke to said similar and avoids these front shafts. He also said that most tail shafts run a bit out of true and hence the need to balance.

I will just run it for a while now and hopefully it will improve or I will get sick of it and get the original ones.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: